[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Vision and Strategy

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:01:29 MST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pertinent quote: "The usability problem with non-linear content is
> crucial because it indicates a deeper issue: Kindle's user experience
> is dominated by the book metaphor. The idea that you'd want to start
> on a section's first page makes sense for a book because most are
> based on linear exposition. Unfortunately, this is untrue for many
> other content collections, including newspapers, magazines, and even
> some non-fiction books such as travel guides, encyclopedias, and
> cookbooks. "

Yes the distinction between linear vs non-linear content is very important.

So I think the bible application should have
- linear mode/view
- non-linear mode/view, and this non-linear is not after thought, but
it is part of the design.

non linear itselft can be divided at least into
- comprehensive indexing, table of content or navigation, so user
could easily jump from one part to another part
- comprehensive search features including index based or smart / semantic base.
- comprehensive linking between bible text, commentary, books, map, history, etc
- etc

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--