[jsword-devel] Java IDE

Adam Thomas adam-thomas at cox.net
Wed Mar 4 12:51:46 MST 2009

Hi Troy,

I completely understand what you are saying. When I started my search
for a good IDE several years ago it was tough. I tried Eclipse and
NetBeans and didn't like either one. Eclipse felt too generic and
setting it up was a pain. NetBeans tried to be the Visual Studio of Java
IDEs, but fell short for many reasons.

Which did I end up choosing? Well, Eclipse won at that time for its
editing experience. However, NetBeans has come a LONG way over the past
couple years. I currently still using Eclipse and love it, however I
might be willing to switch to NetBeans in the future if the right
features come along.

You'll quickly see that Eclipse is very much like the Debian or
Slackware Linux distros. They are VERY powerful but require someone who
doesn't mind tweaking and installing to get things running. On the other
hand NetBeans is more like Ubuntu or SUSE Linux, which try to do as much
as possible out of the box so users don't have to be as knowledgeable or
have to mess with settings as much. My take on it anyway...

So here's the rundown. Eclipse does take a little setup (about 30 - 60
minutes) to get all the plugins installed and configuration settings
adjusted to my taste. Eclipse performance out of the box will be
horrible unless you tweak the JVM heap size and permgen that launches
Eclipse. You can find tutorials for this online.

 I also needed a good Swing GUI editor and found WindowBuilder Pro by
Instantiations simply the best available for any IDE. It's
bi-directional code editing and data-bound component designer is
unmatched even by Visual Studio standards. IT handles Swing, SWT, and
GWT with ease.

You want something to "slurp" dependencies into a single jar, then try
the Eclipse FatJar plugin.

You want Vi bindings for the editor, try the Eclipse Vi plugin, so on
and so on. There are free plugins and commercial plugins for Eclipse for
almost anything you could ever imagine. I can promise you that once you
get Eclipse setup properly and get used to its workflow, you will have a
very nice IDE. However, that doesn't mean it is the best at everything.

Here are some things that I think NetBeans does better than Eclipse. Out
of the box experience so new users can simply start writing J2EE
projects without worrying about Ant scripts, J2EE servers, and other
aspects. I love the NetBeans startup window that displays recent
projects, has a live web feed, and has tutorial links. This startup page
in NetBeans is obviously a rip-off from Visual Studio, but hey, if it
works why change it? I like that NetBeans uses Swing instead of SWT for
its RCP. I like that NetBeans always receives the latest technologies
first since Sun is working on it. How many quality JavaFX or Ruby
plugins do you see for Eclipse right now?

My biggest complaint about NetBeans is the locked code regions in the
Swing GUI builder-generated code. Make that thing bi-directional and
more intelligent (take notes from Window Builder Pro)!!! Last time I
checked I don't think NetBeans had as many configuration options for the
editor as Eclipse either.

Again, Eclipse isn't the king of all IDEs, but it currently has
everything I require from a good IDE. NetBeans is coming along nicely
and if the current pace is kept, I expect NetBeans usage to exceed
Eclipse usage in the upcoming years.

Who says you have to use only one IDE? I have NetBeans and Eclipse
installed on my laptop.

Good luck!

God Bless,
Adam Thomas