[jsword-devel] JSword and Map/Image modules

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 11:43:30 MST 2009

I was trying to get map modules working in BibleDesktop (1.6 and nightly
from 14th Dec), but could not.

I downloaded epiphany-maps.zip, netmaps.zip and farbibatlas.zip from
ftp://ftp.kleinpaste.org/pub/sword/zip (Peter pointed me to this
location, crosswire.org has no maps/images). Only the last of these
worked in BibleDesktop and it turned out to be a genbook module, not a
map module. The first two were map modules, selecting them in in the
sidebar does nothing, the "table of contents" area remains blank.

I looked into this a bit further and realized that BibleDesktop was
attempting to display Map modules as trees, but the RawLDBackend model
would return "0" for getChildCount() and nothing would be displayed in
the contents area. getCardinality() though would return the right number
of items in module.

If you change MultiBookPane to treat Maps as a list instead of a Tree,
(by adding category.equals(BookCategory.MAPS) to the "else if" on line
451, then BibleDesktop does display the contents and individual maps
when list items are clicked.

This would be okay if Map modules are not hierarchical and simply lists.
The two I had were lists (as seen in BPBible). Is this the norm for Map
modules? I assume Image modules would be the same? (is this documented
anywhere?)

Brian.

P.S. I had to manually download images for the epiphany-maps.zip file as
instructed by placeholder images. After the above fix, I could view both
the text and the corresponding map without issue in BibleDesktop.

For netmaps, the contents would show up but clicking them only shows me
text, no images. This module works just fine in BPBible; I have not
looked into this problem yet.