[jsword-devel] Does JSword support cipher code

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:19:11 MST 2008

Hi,

I have been in contact with LAI (Lembaga Alkitab Indonesia /
Indonesian Bible Society) for few months regarding the distribution of
their translation text in Sword Module format. Finally/ yesterday, we
have been meeting face to face with them regarding this matter. The
result was politely rejected the matter due to various concern.

Based on my understanding, they are very concerned regarding the
misuse of their translation text eg: altering the name of
God/YHWH/Adonai, etc. And as a matter of fact their concern is really
happening here in Indonesia, some non-responsible organization are
using their text and altering those things and distributed it in here.
And things get worse because that non-responsible organization are
disputing the use of God Name in the translation in the court of law
which LAI must defending itself. Since I am not a legal expert, just a
software developer, I am not really understand what happen here eg:
who sue who and under what basis ?, etc, really weird things :)

To keep story short, in technical matter, they are asking me whether
sword module support some kind of encryption/cipher/activation code to
protect their translation text ? So does JSword library support this
kind of encryption/cipher things ? And how this works ? If JSword
indeed support such things, if I may know which package/class which
this things is implemented so I could test and quickly review it ?

Note: They indicated that once I solve the encryption things, they
might (not necessarily) consider their position regarding their texts
distribution in Sword Module Format.

Side note: they also asking me are there any UBS (United Bible
Society) member that are also using OSIS/Sword module because as they
understand there are no UBS member publish/distribute their texts in
OSIS/Sword Module format, is there any reason ?.  I am wondering is it
ok if I ask this things again (UBS member matters) in
sword-devel at crosswire.org or is there more appropriate public mailing
list regarding this questions ?

Cheers
Tonny Kohar