[jsword-devel] Strong vs Dictionary vs Glossary ?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 20:52:26 MST 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Tonny Kohar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for a lot of questions, because I am still newbie here
> especially in the area of bible related stuff like strong, morphology,
> etc, I am not a bible scholar only christian software developer :)
>
> - Does anyone care to briefly explain the concept behind Strong and
> Morphology ?

Strong created a concordance of all the words in the KJV bible. Later,
someone numbered those. These have been used to create mappings
between his Greek and Hebrew dictionaries and the words in various
Bibles.

Morphology deals with word forms, like "first person singular",
"present active indicative", etc.

> - What is the difference between Strong vs Morphology vs Dictionary ?

A dictionary is a list of keyed entries. With Strong's Greek and
Hebrew dictionaries, the keys are Strong's numbers and the entries are
the Greek and Hebrew words to which they refer, along with their
definition.

Robinson's morphology are short-hand codes to words forms.

> - Does Strong only applied to Hebrew and Greek only, how about other
> language ?

It is the Greek and Hebrew that are assigned Strong's numbers. But the
KJV is keyed to Strong's, meaning that the words marked with a
Strong's number are from the numbered Greek or Hebrew word. Note,
these are root forms, the actual Greek or Hebrew probably is a variant
of that root.

> - What is the difference between Dictionary and Glossary ? I see the
> content it is basically the same, it is only phrase/word with
> description

Lexicon, Glossary and Dictionary are pretty much interchangeable. From
a mechanical perspective, the code doesn't draw any distinction.

Our Glossaries are mappings between two languages, with one usually
being English.

> Or any link to website/wiki,etc that explain the above concept would
> be fine :)

I didn't know of any.

In Him,