[jsword-devel] parallel display with WLC

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 17:31:33 MST 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> The font problem Daniel describes has some other unpleasant
> consequences
> if one uses several non-latinate languages at the same time;
>
> 1) if the languages are not represented all in teh same font parts of
> teh display won't work and display instead boxes.. e.g: try using a
> Hebrew, Armenian and Farsi Bible at the same time - this is a very
> realistic thing as many Iranian pastors are Armenians
>
> 2) Arabic/Farsi ligation can go out of the window: If the dominant
> Bible's font does not have ligated Farsi glyphs then the text is badly
> displayed.
>
> The work around obviously is not to have certain Bibles in parallel
> but
> use separate tabs.

Another problem is that if the first language is l-to-r and later ones
are not, Java does not guess correctly how to do r-to-l.

The solution to both of these is that we need to pass in a set of
parameters for each Bible being displayed and apply it to each column.

I've started on it and it is not nearly as easy as I had hoped.
Basically, I need to add xml:lang="xx" to each OSIS element (that
differs from the parent) and then in the xsl, I need to convert that
to dir="rtl" or dir="ltr"

The font needs to be applied in a similar fashion. The difficulty is
that I need to pass in a font for each Bible in the parallel display
and apply it.

The trick is that HTML tables are not built by column by column but
row by row. So as the row is built for a verse we create cells for
each translation, each with it's own font and direction. Likewise, the
OSIS table is row oriented, but does not retain any version
information for each row.

So that's the task.

Because there is a work around, I've not worked on it. But if I can
get it done before Troy releases the CD, I'll get it in.