[jsword-devel] German Translation (BD) and more

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 16:31:57 MST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Benny Wasty wrote:

> Hi,
> now the German translation is complete (see attached zipped patch
> files).
> I also changed 3 English entries in config.properties, which are a
> bit clearer now I hope (Passages.BlurringRules.alternative.1,
> Passages.PersistentNaming.name, Passages.PersistentNaming.help).
>
> I think there is one field missing in the translation files: the
> summary-label in the Select Passage Dialog. I couldn't find where to
> put the translation for "verses" and "book".

This is in the jsword project at o.c.jsword.passage.UserMsg.properties
In the entry:
AbstractPassage.RefSummary={0,number,integer} {0,choice,0#verses|
1#verse|1<verses} in {1,number,integer} {1,choice,0#books|1#book|
1<books}
Everything outside of {} needs to be translated. The words "choice",
"number", "integer" should not be translated, but "verses", "verse",
"books" and "book" need to be translated.

Here is the breakdown of {0,choice,0#verses|1#verse|1<verses}
0 - the first argument provided to the format. This will be the number
of verses. 1 will be the number of books.
choice - is a programmer's keyword indicating that a choice needs to
be made
0#verses - if the argument equals 0 then output "verses"
| - separates one choice from another
1#verse - if the argument equals 1 then choose "verse"
1<verses - if the argument is greater than 1 then use "verses"

> And I noticed that the German translation of the GPL under
> "warranty" in the About-Dialog doesn't show the German special
> characters correctly. But why is the translation there anyway? It's
> somehow confusing to have the German version under "warranty" and
> the English version under "licence".

I have fixed this, but license.warranty needs to be translated. The
problem was twofold. First the file had UTF-8 in it and not ascii
escapes for it. Second, the German GPL was in the wrong field,
warranty and not details.

> Finally I've got two suggestions for an improvement of the UI. The
> toolbar should use the big icons as default. The small ones look too
> small even with a moderate display resolution.

Working on it.

> I would also swap the positions of the Go-buttons and the Select/
> Advanced button in the main window so that the Go-buttons are
> directly next to the input fields. It would be more natural and the
> Select/Advanced Dialog do not operate on the the values in the input
> fields anyway.

Done.