[jsword-devel] JSword changes for internationalization
dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 16:00:26 MST 2008
I've been working on some changes regarding internationalization which
hopefully will aide in doing translations.
One of the difficulties in translating the various Msg.properties
files is that it is not clear whether all of it needs to be translated
and if not then what. These files have messages for things that should
never happen. That is, they catch developer's errors. They have
messages for things that occur infrequently, if at all, such as, a
module being corrupted or unreadable. The message files also include
labels and responses a user's bad input.
So one of the things that Peter and I discussed a while ago was
splitting the Msg file in two or more parts, with what must be
translated in one part and the rest in the other parts. To this end, I
have split the user oriented messages into UserMsg.properties. I have
done this in jsword, common and common-swing. I've left it as is in
bibledesktop, since pretty much all of it has to be translated, but I
may still do the effort just to be consistent.
I also renamed the "plugin" properties files from XXX.properties to
XXX.plugin. This was to make it clear that these are for plugins.
The remaining properties files (i.e. everything but Msg.properties)
should be translated. If any of you find something that I didn't split
out or shouldn't be translated please let me know and I'll improve it
Also, I think I fixed the German License/Warranty problem in the About
dialog. The "Warranty" still needs to be translated.
In doing this, I found some strings that still need to be translated.
Please search for the UserMsg.properties files and see if your
translation is present and if so, how complete it is.
Serving Him together,
More information about the jsword-devel