[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 22:23:33 MST 2008

Hi,

Last week, I do simple research regarding embedde browser solution,
unfortunately my finding show that all existing solution is undesired
1) as you said, it is heavy weight (JDIC, xulRunner, DJ Swing) and
does not play nice with swing light weight approach
2) some only works in Windows only, with poor Linux/Unix, and untested Mac OSX

The promising alternative is JWebPane (thanks DM for the notice), it
is lightweight and cross platform. The drawback is JWebPane is not
available yet. It is only developer preview. Java supported is also
still unknown (1.6 or higher is high probability, 1.5 or 1.4 is not
sure). According to the article it will be bundled with JavaFX and
possiblity of separate bundle for the usual swing application.

I think I will wait for this JWebPane.

Cheers
Tonny Kohar

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We've tried jdic WebBrowser at least twice. But there were problems:
> 1) jdic is heavy, not playing well in Swing-land (see: http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/mixing/)
> .. It is possible to get it to work.
>
> 2) jdic has only recently (Nov 2006) added support for Mac, but it is
> still Alpha.
>
> 3) jdic uses a different browser engine (IE, Mozilla and WebKit)
> requiring testing on all three engines to ensure that BibleDesktop
> works.
>
> 4) jdic uses a non-open browser on Windows. This means that if we find
> problems with RTL, there will be little hope to have it fixed or find
> a work-around.
>
> There may have been more. For example, our desire to have it also be a
> Mac experience for 10.3 meant sticking with Java 1.4.2. Now, we need
> to find a Java 5 solution.
>
> A new alternative, I haven't looked at is: JWebPane.
>
> See: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ixmal/archive/2008/05/introducing_jwe.html
>
> This appears to solve "everything" regarding display of module content.
>
> The other promise of using a true browser is support for JavaScript!
> Hopefully, we can use JavaScript to dig into the JSword libraries on
> the local box.
>
> In Him,
>        DM

Citra FX Photo Effects