[jsword-devel] Burmese rendering, was [sword-devel] Portable Bible prototype

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Jun 8 03:13:40 MST 2008

I attach a screenshot

The differences I found in Gen1:1 are

1A vs 1B - BD appears to have two characters in sequence while GS has
split the second character and made it "embrace" the first one.

2A vs 2B(a) At the centre of the word appears a character a little bit
like a handwritten latinate small M with a circle above it, a colon and
a huge bracket from the left side. The order of these elements is very
different in GS vs BD.

2A vs 2B(b) a hook is set under the last character of the word in GS,
while BD shows this hook trailing the last "m" shaped.

3A vs 3B : a character like a smiley and two parallel lines. In GS they
are sorted horizontally, in BD sequentially, just as the 2A vs 2Bb
difference.

To be honest I think the problem is with BD. It appears that these are
similar to characters with diacritics, which should be correctly shaped
before they are rendered.

I mentioned a couple of days or so ago a similar problem with Farsi
where some diacritics would only be displayed if the base text uses the
code point for the unified character, but flakes out with a box
character when the character and the diacritic are given as sequential
unicode items, expecting to be united by the renderer.

My immediate Farsi solution would be to do a mass exchange of characters
where I exchange the two characters with the one unified one. But I
wonder whether this is possible in Burmese. Apart form that I think it
creates search + input difficulties

In Him

Peter