[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 07:11:33 MST 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> This is coming on nicely. It runs fast enough, displays my Bible and
> commentary modules well and deals with parallel texts with wildly
> diverging font preferences fine.
>
> I _really_ like the ability to un-dock windows as it allows me to make
> use of several screens on Linux desktops and also to maximise/minimise
> some views.
>
> A number of points::
>
> 1) There is a fair amount of settings accessible which appear to be IDE
> related stuff - I think this should really go as you approach 1.0
>
> 2) Gen Books - they have an internal structure with chapters etc, but I
> have been unable to access this - just a flat collection of pages. This
> is a problem.
>
> 3) Gen books - images do not work
>
> 4) Book shelf double clicking appears to be a hit and miss - sometimes
> it works and sometimes not.
>
> 5) There are a few GUI oddities - mostly connected to intuitiveness of
> GUI - e.g. the drop down menus to choose a translation module - I
> clicked several times the down-arrow on the left to the module name as
> it appeared a lot closer and subsequently more obviously connected to
> the module in question.
>
> 6) Licensing - not my area of knowledge - but do you think it is correct
> to link a public domain programme to a GPL library? Or is Java with its
> multiple separate jars designed in a fashion that this is not a matter
> of concern?

Two points on this:
1. Public domain software is fairly obviously GPL compatible (see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
for a list of GPL compatible licenses).
2. From memory, J-Sword is primarily LGPL rather than GPL anyway.  Did
you have any other libraries in mind, or was it just JSword?

Jon