[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jun 4 06:58:41 MST 2008

This is coming on nicely. It runs fast enough, displays my Bible and
commentary modules well and deals with parallel texts with wildly
diverging font preferences fine.

I _really_ like the ability to un-dock windows as it allows me to make
use of several screens on Linux desktops and also to maximise/minimise
some views.

A number of points::

1) There is a fair amount of settings accessible which appear to be IDE
related stuff - I think this should really go as you approach 1.0

2) Gen Books - they have an internal structure with chapters etc, but I
have been unable to access this - just a flat collection of pages. This
is a problem.

3) Gen books - images do not work

4) Book shelf double clicking appears to be a hit and miss - sometimes
it works and sometimes not.

5) There are a few GUI oddities - mostly connected to intuitiveness of
GUI - e.g. the drop down menus to choose a translation module - I
clicked several times the down-arrow on the left to the module name as
it appeared a lot closer and subsequently more obviously connected to
the module in question.

6) Licensing - not my area of knowledge - but do you think it is correct
to link a public domain programme to a GPL library? Or is Java with its
multiple separate jars designed in a fashion that this is not a matter
of concern?

7) How open is this programme to translation? Particularly non Latin
scripts, but e.g. RtoL scripts.

8) Windows installer/starter? Will this become more novice user friendly
as you approach 1.0?

9) Running the programme from shell produces the below attached error
messages (on Ubuntu 7.10 linux, Java 1.6) I have been unable to figure
out exactlt what caused them, but wonder if failed double-clicks (see
point (4)) are connected to that?

God bless you

Peter

(<unknown>:18256): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkButton to a GtkComboBoxEntry (need an instance of GtkEntry or of a
subclass)

(<unknown>:18256): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion
`GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed

(<unknown>:18256): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion
`style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed