[jsword-devel] German Translation (BD) and more

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 17:44:43 MST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Benny Wasty wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got the German translation almost complete now, but a few
> issues/questions came up:
> What does the option "Default Number of Matched Verses" mean
> exactly? I
> couldn't figure it out and don't know how to translate it correctly.

This option pertains to the Advanced Search dialog, where you can
prioritize the search result. The number of verses that is returned is
configurable by a slider, where 0 means show all the verses. The
slider defaults to the number set by "Default Number of Matched
Verses". I think this starts at 20.

> "Persistent Naming" still has "Should your input of names ." as the
> Tooltip, which doesn't really explain it.

We've never really figured out what to call this. When the user types
something into the "Show Passages" this setting indicates whether BD
is allowed to rewrite it or not. If Persistent Naming is not set, then
BD will re-write, using either full or abbreviated Bible book names
depending on what the user has set in options.

> In the "Search Quick Help"-Dialog the Ok-Button is labeled
> "Ok.Name=Alias.OK".

I thought I had fixed that. I have now and will be checking it in
shortly.

> In the Installation Manager Dialog the button for editing the
> download-sites is labeled simply "Edit" now. It was "Edit Sites..."
> before which would be more appropriate I think.

Thanks for the input, I am reverting to the old ones.

> A different issue: I see how the Java property jsword.home is
> changed in
> Portable BibleDesktop for the Linux-Version. I tried the same as a VM
> argument in Eclipse (-Djsword.home=...) but then BD didn't start
> because
> of a NoClassDefFoundError (seems like the path is taken as the
> classpatch).

I knew it would work externally. I'm surprised that it does not work
when invoked within Eclipse.

jsword.home is not actually used as the classpath. JSword has it's own
ClassLoader which effective prepends JSword home to the classpath.

> As a workaround I hardcoded the folder to be used in the
> place where the system property is read.

This is what I would have suggested if you are launching within
Eclipse. I might figure out another way. But as long as you have a
workable solution, I'm inclined to work on other things.

> And on startup I now get a few popups like "Ignoring Invalid Option:
> [Module Name]" with Robinsons/Strongs/Personal Commentary/King James
> Dictionary. I use the modules from my BibleCS installation (as
> additional book location).

These are warnings that there is an option mentioned in the module
that is not specified correctly. I have all the modules installed and
I get a few of these on some of the beta modules. I think all the
other current modules have the correct values in their conf.