[jsword-devel] Alias mechanism for translations.

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 10:25:02 MST 2008

I'm working on simplifying the effort required for translating
BibleDesktop.

At Peter's request, I'm almost done with an effort to define aliases,
which will greatly simplify translation. I should be checking it in a
bit later today or perhaps tomorrow.

The fundamental idea behind it is to have a dictionary of common text
(a word or short phrase) that is useful in more than one place. For
example, "OK", "Yes" and "No" are used all over the place.

In the default properties file, say Desktop.properties
Go.Name=Alias.Go
would indicate that the action values for Go can be found in the alias
dictionary, appropriately internationalized.

Then in Desktop_de.properties (and all the other translations of
Desktop.properties), Go.Name and Go.Mnemonic would be deleted.

This would appear to assume that there is a one to one mapping between
all uses of Go in English and the translation, but it doesn't.

Any value in the translated property file would take precedence over
the corresponding value in the alias property file.

In Him,