[jsword-devel] Displaying Strongs Numbers

Keith Watson keith_watson at bigfoot.com
Tue Feb 5 17:10:57 MST 2008

> I find that Bible Software is about personal preference and
> what I call work flow. The different Sword applications have
> different ways of doing things. For the most part they reflect
> what we as developers want.

"Work flow" is a good term.  As a professional software developer I have
always thought software, or any tool, should make the user's job easier.
Customers will always use the tool different from my own preferred workflow,
so flexibility to meet their needs is a good goal.

> The reasoning was that Strong's numbers themselves should be meaningless.

The key word is "should".  In the hardcopy version of the concordance the
number is the only way to get from the English word to the original word in
its corresponding dictionary.  I use a mixture of software and hardcopy in
my studies, so having the Strongs numbers on the printed page (copy the html
to a document I create then print) is still useful.

Regards,
Keith Watson