[jsword-devel] Copy/Paste in Bible Desktop

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 18:35:18 MST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Justin Ennis wrote:

> Bear with a newb here, please.  I have to say that I love Bible
> Desktop (especially the search functions and the quick navigation).
> Coming from e-Sword, though, I am really missing the copy/paste
> function which would allow me to paste in different formats (i.e.,
> as one block of text with no verse differentiation, or with the
> passage referenced in different ways).  When a copy/paste from Bible
> Desktop I end up with the verse markings and the footnotes/cross
> references in the text as well.  This function seems to be the
> DesktopActions.DoCopy() method, which is:
>
> public void doCopy()
>     {
>         BibleViewPane view = (BibleViewPane)
> getDesktop().getViews().getSelected();
>         SplitBookDataDisplay da = view.getPassagePane();
>         da.copy();
>     }
>
> Is it correct that this just copies whatever the displayed text is?
> Would an enhanced copy function have to gain cognizance of the
> objects making up the text within a selection?
>
> Also, is somebody already working on an enhanced copy function?
Justin,

As far as I know, no one is working on this. Glad to have you on board!

Java also has fundamental copy functionality that when you hit Ctrl-C
(or Cmd-C on the Mac) it will copy the highlighted text to the
clipboard. The doCopy() method does that too. While it is redundant,
it is the way to put the equivalent on the menu.

For me, I set the view options to how I want to copy and I paste it
into either NotePad (or the like) or OpenOffice (or the like), using
the option to not paste formatting. I wish MS Word had this feature.

Feel free to enhance it, or even have a couple of entries on the menu
(e.g. Copy Plain text)

Working together for Christ we accomplish more,