[jsword-devel] Other scrolls

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 05:01:36 MST 2006

Manfred,

Right now, SWORD is almost there but JSword is not.

The Sword developers are working on an implementation to get it to
work. It is based on VerseTreeKey and GenBook. Basically the idea for
a GenBook (general book) is that it's keys are unpredictable but can
be represented as a tree /a/b/c in some form that is appropriate for
the book.

There are two forms that a module can be built from:

a) OSIS where the <div> elements are tagged in such a way that it can
discern a key. The input is processed by xml2gbs to create a module.
It could also be ThML but OSIS is recommended. (See my email to sword-
devel on May 31, 2006 for details)

b) An "imp" format of
$$$/1/1/1
data for /1/1/1
$$$/1/1/2
data for 2/2/2
For this imp2gbs would be used.

JSword has something akin to a TreeKey, called Key. Key is an
interface that defines a parent/child relationship. It may be
appropriate for that to be used. The large difficultly for JSword is
that it uses a BitMap to hold passages, where every verse maps to a
position in the map. If you look at BibleInfo, you will see that this
is hard coded.

With the deutro-canonical, apocryphal books,  there is not a
consistent numbering of the verses among the different versions. So
*a* static map cannot handle it.  The map is per Bible.

Rather than solving it just for the apocrypha, the Sword developers
are solving the more general problem of "Alternate Versification" or
v11n. Simply, some bibles use a different numbering system than the
KJV. Another challenge of v11n is mapping on v11n scheme to another
so that one could present an interlinear view.

You can also search sword-devel for v10n (a typo of mine), v11n and
versification to see a full discussion of it. My post of Mar 23, 2006
to sword-devel gives a design of how to handle OSIS documents
directly. This would be an additional mechanism to the one that Sword
is using. I believe BibleTime is engineering something close to this
solution. I think they are planning to use a database to hold the
discovered versification.

BTW the GenBook is the one module type that JSword does not handle at
this time.

Hope this helps some.

In Him,
	DM