[jsword-devel] SVN and Subclipse

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:13:01 MST 2006

I use eclipse and subclipse every day for my "real" job. Using the
"commit" directly off the Team menu is handy for simple commits, but
it's better to use Sychronize if you're checking in a lot of stuff. If
you do a synchronize, then you can select what is to be done and it
pulls up the diff so you can see any changes.

I have tried every major IDE out there. NetBeans, JBuilder, Eclipse,
WSAD (eclipse :-), Emacs, vi, jEdit, and a few others. While I like
Emacs' keyboard efficiency, no other tool for Java development lets me
be so productive as eclipse. The code completion feature is such an
integral part of my programming that I don't even notice it most
times. I end up only having to type about a 1/3 of what I would
without auto-complete. The auto-complete also lets me find what class
I want to use or what method I want to use. Since the javadoc is
integrated with the auto-complete, I can just hit ".", let the list
pop up, and figure out what method I want to call from there. I only
need to consult the javadoc if I don't know what class I want to use.

I've tried other ways of developing Java, but I keep coming back to
eclipse because I just can get more work done than with anything else,
including a text editor and ant.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now :-)

Jon Brisbin
Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.

On 1/20/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I found that by default Subclipse has the behavior of assuming all
> deletes that Eclipse does should cause a corresponding delete in the
> repository.
>
> When doing a copy and paste of a file in Eclipse, Eclipse will do a
> delete of the target followed by an add of the file to be copied.
> Subclipse sees this as a delete, but is unable to correctly handle the add.
>
> Subclipse has added a custom property called DeferFileDelete. When this
> happens, deletes are ignored until commit. At such time you will be
> given a choice of whether to delete in the repository or not. Until you
> commit the delete, if you do an update or a revert on a parent
> directory, the files will be restored.
>
> I have set this on all our projects.
>
> In e-mailing with the Subclipse folks, I found that we want to use
> JavaSVN rather than javaHL. When set, commits across projects within the
> same repository are atomic.
> This can be set on:
> Window -> Preferences -> Team -> SVN

Jon Brisbin