[jsword-devel] XML Parsers

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 06:44:46 MST 2006

Please give me your thoughts:
Background:
    BibleDesktop uses Java WebStart as one of its "installers" and Java
1.4 or higher.
    WebStart and Java 1.4 are written in such a way that the built-in
xml parser cannot be replaced.
    Java 1.4 uses Crimson for its parser and one has to go to great
lengths to replace it via a wrapper script.
    Java 1.5 (aka 5.0) uses Xerces for its parser and it is designed to
be replaceable, even via WebStart.

Opportunity:
    Xerces has capabilities that Crimson does not. A few of these would
be genuinely useful.
    For example:
         Xerces allows the programmatic specification of a schema. (This
would allow us to have a debug mode that could validate fragments
against a schema.)
         Xerces provides the ability to get line and offset information
in error reports.

Do we go to Java 1.5? (At least for Java WebStart?)
Do we stick with source compatibility to Java 1.4?
Do we try to achieve source compatibility with Java 1.3? (This would
allow us to target handhelds. We just need to replace regex and asserts.)
Do we use the latest and greatest Xerces? (It adds 1,176K + 190K to the
install size.)