[jsword-devel] Lucene 2.0

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 07:24:53 MST 2006

The lucene folks are planning a 1.9rc on Monday, 20 Feb with 1.9, a week
later on 27 Feb. As with any volunteer effort, those are not set in
stone. At this time there is not a date for 2.0. I have asked them when
that might be.

Version 1.9 maintains backward compatibility with 1.4.3 but deprecates
methods not going forward in 2.0. The intention is that 1.9 is a bridge
to 2.0. The developers recommend that all users of 1.4.3 upgrade first
to 1.9, replace calls to deprecated methods and after retesting, go to 2.0.

I will probably upgrade to 1.9 after a first maintenance release, do
some testing, especially in the area of performance and then do another
maintenance release.

While our use of lucene is significant to JSword, our use of it is
relatively trivial. The impact is on queries with large answer sets, on
complex queries and on indexing.