[jsword-devel] feather request: book downloading and index generating api

P. R. B. dysbiote at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 19:17:47 MST 2006

Hi gang,

I ran into the same problem with RCP. I ultimately turned the core JSword libraries (common and jsword -- the parts I was after) into an RCP plug-in that could accommodate the RCP Job class and use plug-ins to extend the installer, filter, and driver (RCP needs to manage class loaders itself, so the class utilities and property files were removed). The key to changing the job code, for me, was to replace JSword-Job calls  with IProgressMonitor calls, and making all calls run in the caller's thread. The IProgressMonitor interface serves essentially the same purpose and the JSword Job class, so the change was fairly straight-forward.

I have an example of the changes that I made at the bottom of this e-mail.

Off-topic: I hit project burn-out with this endeavor a few weeks back
and the fate of the code is undecided (I take project burn-out pretty
hard). The JSword plug-in is functional and the RCP application is 100% working. If anyone wants to play with it or is interested in helping me resurrect
the thing back to life, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Phillip

--

Example changes to convert JSword Job code to use IProgressMonitor  (for non-RCP'rs, IProgressMonitor and IStatus are part of the Eclipse/RCP core API):

Installer interface:
    IStatus install(IProgressMonitor monitor, Book book);

HttpSwordInstaller class:
    public IStatus install(IProgressMonitor monitor, Book book){
        // Is the book already installed? Then nothing to do.
        if (Books.installed().getBook(book.getName()) != null)
        {
            monitor.beginTask(Msg.INSTALLING.toString(book.getName()), 1);
            monitor.worked(1);
            monitor.done();
            return Status.OK_STATUS;
        }

        final SwordBookMetaData sbmd = (SwordBookMetaData) book.getBookMetaData();
        try
        {
            // the task has as many steps to perform as there are parts to the download
            monitor.beginTask(Msg.INSTALLING.toString(book.getName()), (getSize(book) / 4096) + 1);
            monitor.subTask(Msg.JOB_INIT.toString());

            URL temp = NetUtil.getTemporaryURL("swd", ZIP_SUFFIX); //$NON-NLS-1$

            // download the book. Each chunk downloaded contributes to the monitor's work.
            download(monitor, directory + '/' + PACKAGE_DIR, sbmd.getInitials() + ZIP_SUFFIX, temp);

            // Once the unzipping is started, we need to continue
            File dldir = SwordBookPath.getDownloadDir();
            if (!monitor.isCanceled())
            {
                monitor.subTask(Msg.JOB_CONFIG.toString());
                IOUtil.unpackZip(NetUtil.getAsFile(temp), dldir);
                SwordBookDriver.registerNewBook(sbmd, dldir);
            }

        }
        catch (Exception ex)
        {
            Reporter.informUser(this, ex);
            return new Status(IStatus.ERROR, JswordActivator.PLUGIN_ID, 0, Msg.UNKNOWN_ERROR.toString(), ex);
        }
        finally
        {
            monitor.done();