[jsword-devel] JSword devel

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 04:17:01 MST 2006

Dear WebMedic,

We use SVN, you can browse our source at
https://www.crosswire.org/svn/jsword/trunk.
While you mentioned bibletime you did not indicate whether your dev
environment is Linux or Windows.
The following instructions are for Windows. Instructions for getting and
installing Java and Eclipse for Linux depend upon the distribution.

Basic instructions on getting started with Eclipse:
Get and install Java 1.4.2 SDK
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html)

Get Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/) and unzip it to a
directory of your choice, say c:\Eclipse.
Start Eclipse and specify a workspace that is not under c:\Eclipse, say
c:\EclipseWS\JSword.
You may wish to create a shortcut. I use
    Target: D:\Java\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm %JAVA_HOME%\bin\javaw
-vmargs -Xmx1024M
    Start In: E:\EclipseWS

Get Subclipse (the SVN client for Eclipse) by specifying to Eclipse
where it's download site is:
    Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install
    In the dialog
    Search for New Features to Install
    Next
    New Remote Site
    In the dialog
    Name: subclipse (or whatever you wish)
    OK
    Finish
    You may have other dialogs to confirm.

Restart Eclipse (This may no longer be necessary with the most recent
versions of Eclipse, but it makes sure the plugin is used)

This not only installs Subclipse, but it also installs help for
Subclipse under Help -> Help Contents -> Subclipse
To get general help for subversion you can read the Subversion Book
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/)

Then http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/Eclipse.html provides instructions
on how to connect to the SVN repositories.

For an one line explanation of the various JSword modules (i.e. Eclipse
projects) see http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/svn.html

Then read my overview post (That I posted earlier today at 1am on Tuesday.)

Let us know if you have any other questions.

I have one for you: What is your name?

In His Service,
    DM Smith