[jsword-devel] BibleDesktop in SWT

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 10:43:09 MST 2005

It is looking more and more like we will use the RCP and not just
SWT/JFace.

Right now the license issue is our open question. We also have to look
at the download size. Over time we have reduced the download size from
nearly 10 meg to almost small enough for a floppy. This will certainly
make it bigger. By some accounts it may be 5.5M bigger.

At first we were looking for a way to provide a better HTML renderer
than what Swing provides. After evaluating the different options (jrex,
jdic and the like) against our platform and program requirements, we
found that SWT provided everything we needed and was easy to work with.

In looking at what we have planned for BibleDesktop after our 1.0
release (which should be soon. The coding is done, and we are working on
installers), we realized that a lot of what we want to do is already
done in Eclipse, which we have become familiar, because we develop
BibleDesktop/JSword in it.

Specifically, it provides a framework for user preferences (which are
more complete than what BD has), for saving program state (which BD
lacks) and for allowing the user to arrange the BibleDesktop's desktop
as they wish (which we don't do). The latter would allow for different
kinds of users to have different kinds of desktops. For example, some
may want to use BD for a daily reader and they don't need or want
everything else that is currently present.

In His Service,
    DM