[jsword-devel] Newbie

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 26 14:44:58 MST 2005

Some further explanations:

The rawtext modules look like text, but they aren't. The are indexed.
There is no guarantee that all content in a rawtext module's data file
will be accessible through the API. Reading a rawtext module directly
will not give you a complete picture of the module because it encodes
what limited versification information there is in the index. And there
is, furthermore, no guarantee that the verses in a rawtext module are
ordered (in some cases, they are not). So the answer is: make sure you
use an API. Modifying the data file of a rawtext module will, in all
probability, make the module useless (unless you happen to not change
the number of bytes within the verse you are modifying).

As DM Smith notes, ztext modules are compressed, not encrypted. It's z
as in zip or Lempel-Ziv. We can encrypt content also, but that's not
what you're looking at.

Sword (in general, being both the C/C++ API and JSword) doesn't just use
OSIS. Most of the C/C++-based frontends do not generate OSIS as an
output format from the library. The Win32 frontend generates RTF and
most of the others generate some form of HTML.

--Chris