[jsword-devel] Newbie

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 13:08:46 MST 2005

I studied Hebrew & Greek at uni a number of years ago and have been getting my hands dirty with Java for the past two years. I stumbled upon your site while looking for the texts in original languages in digital format as I was intending to start a project for analytical original language study & translation into modern languages.

I have read about the OSIS standard and agree with XML as a data store for the texts. I have quickly browsed the API but it appears that, correct me if I'm wrong, the java classes do not directly access and manipulate the OSIS XML files but access the sword modules which I have not been able to understand the format of and get garbled encryption when I access the ztext modules with a hexeditor. I would like to get involved in the project but need to understand some things.

The format of the modules.
Is access of modules dependant on C or C++ functions from the sword API?
Is it necessary to use the JSword API or can one use standard javax.xml methods?
What direction is the project going in?
In terms of Java coding, what needs to be done?
Never having used CVS would it be possible to receive a simple step by step tutorial on CVS access both for Windows and Linux platforms?
Who is in charge of the project and how can I communicate with him?
Who would I contact to press for OSIS modules representing a copy of each and every extant manuscript?
If I wanted to suggest branching the project to make it more accessible with audio functionalities how would I get such a motion to the attention of the correct bodies?

Finally I would like to say that I think the project is a great idea and that it should be spiritually uplifting experience for all who take a part.

Security System.