[jsword-devel] -Dswing.aatext=true improves font rendering in JDK 1.5

Willie Thean williethean at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 17:33:08 MST 2005

DM --

Ahhhh...thanks for pointing that out...didn't know
that option was
available. I like having only the textpane
anti-aliased and leaving the
button texts as is.

Maybe when BibleDesktop is first invoked, we can
present 2 text panes,
one anti-alias and one default, and ask the user to
choose one and set
option accordingly. This would overcome the first
impression that
BibleDesktop does not render font as well as other
software. This was
actually my first impression.

Willie

DM Smith wrote:

> Willie,
>    Thanks for this find. I did it a little
differently as adding a
> command line argument means that we have to change a
lot of places.
> Under options we have had a Yes/No choice for "Font
Smoothing." I
> added it to that code. The reason we did not make it
a default or
> permanent choice is that it can really slow the
system down and on
> some systems, antialiasing is said to look bad. For
full effect, it
> has to be set to yes when the application starts.
>    It should be available in tomorrow's nightly
build. Let me know how
> it looks.
> DM
>
> Willie Thean wrote:
>
>> Hi --
>>
>> Can we add -Dswing.aatext=true to the java argument
in
>> jsword.bat? This greatly improves font rendering
when running
>> BibleDesktop with JDK 1.5 (Sun JDK 1.5 on Windows
XP)