[jsword-devel] Gen 12.4 problem

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 09:50:44 MST 2005

I sent the following using the wrong e-mail account and it bounced.
Turns out the problem was in SwordConstants a value of 413 needed to be
313. I double checked all the other values against canon.h from Sword
and they are right. I'll be checking this in fairly soon.

I had noticed that Gen 12.4 was causing a problem in the NASB. So I
assumed that it was a problem with the module. Later I saw that WEB had
a problem with Gen 12.4. So I decided to look to see what the problem
was. Then I found that every English bible has a problem. Still haven't
figured it out, but after checking the modules in BibleCS, it is not a
problem with the modules. It is a problem with JSword :-<

I thought the problem might be in SwordConstants, but a simple test
showed it was not the problem. Still looking...

Anyway, I thought I would report a finding on the meaning of the lookup
tables in SwordConstants that getIndex(Verse) uses.
The index table is monotonically increasing by 1 starting at 4 in Gen
and Mat. At the beginning of each chapter it skips a number. At the
start of a book it skips by 2.

I remember reading somewhere that Gen 0.0 gives frontmatter/intro for
the book, Gen 1.0 for the chapter. So I guess that the skipped numbers
refer to the index for the corresponding info.

I don't know if any module has implemented this but we could check.

How would we fit this into the scheme of a Passage? Or do we?