[jsword-devel] Search again (part 1 - UI design)

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 14:39:52 MST 2004

Hi,

So I found some time to go back to real code! And picking up on the
Search issue that I was working on before my holiday, and realized
that I'd forgotten where I was at. I've picked it up again but not
without some thought.

These are they, partly to make me think and partly so you can tell me I'm mad.

My ideal search UI would look like the attached png which I mocked up
in the Eclipse Visual Editor.
The Select button shows the same as currently, the Match toggle
switches between search and match and the restrict thing is gone into
the Advanced Search dialog (behind the Advanced button)

What push me to think this was more ideal (and we've discussed this
basic idea before - DM, I think you've done a similar mockup?) was
thinking that the functionallity we would like to add to search, like
strongs numbers, etc, needs more user hand holding. Almost all web
sites have a quick and easy search screen with and advanced option.
Given that an advanced search dialog is an option, then why doesn't
the restrict option live there?

The yellow ? would just be an easy way to get the help you need on
search quickly. Most of the app you could work out for yourself,
search syntax is not that simple, so quick and seasy help seems like a
good idea to me.

Enough for 1 mail. The next part is about code design.