[jsword-devel] Streamlining of Commons

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 10:28:27 MST 2004

I have streamlined JSword by eliminating the dependency upon apache
commons and log4j. I also finished the elimination of winlaf (it was
still in the build and the jnlp file).

Turns out our use of commons was fairly trivial and in most cases
represented a capability that is now present in Java 1.4.
I did add a few methods to StringUtil and to ClassUtil. And I replace
the for Enums with the same Type Safe Enumeration I had created elsewhere.

These jars total about 550K. Net result is that BibleDesktop is under
1.8M (it wen up to about 2.3 when lucene was added)

The only other jar that commons depends upon is jdom and it is about 150K.

WRT using commons.jar with FlashCard, the changes that have been done
mean that it will not need jdom.jar.

I am wondering how it differs from the built-in dom that's in Java 1.4.
Does it add value over that?

I have used Java 1.4's DOM to do the same kind of thing that JDom is
being used for.

I am in the process of checking in the changes now.