[jsword-devel] Concordance

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 12:34:59 MST 2004

Paul Price wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 03:48, DM Smith wrote:
>
>>1) What books would you use to do this?
>

> Strongs and an interlinear:
> http://www.covenantbooksandcoffee.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=163
> http://www.covenantbooksandcoffee.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=593

Thanks. So the tools have not changed, but have been improved. I will
check these out next time I am at the book store.

> Of course, one must be careful, when using this study method of looking
> up every occurrence of a particular word, to pay attention to the
> context in each instance.

Your advice is sound and good to pass on. I am still looking for a
resource that will split a particular Greek word into different meanings
and provide separate verse lists for each. Do you know if there is any
such book? I have not seen any.

My Greek prof sometimes would wear a T-shirt with the letters CIE and
would often tell us "Context Is Everything". And when we would ask why
something was the way it was in Greek grammar, he would tell us,
"Grammar is descriptive, not proscriptive." I think we have all seen
some particularly bad exegesis based upon a very simplistic word for
word translation, possibly picking a bad translation, or coming up with
an inappropriate meaning for a word. People even do this when only their
language is involved.