[jsword-devel] Concordance

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Thu May 27 07:34:37 MST 2004

JSword was previously called ProjectB which grew from a project vaguely
along just these lines I think.

I exported the KJV text from the OnLine Bible and ran a program to
extract the words along with the strongs numbers that related to the
word. I then put it all into an access database so I could look up the
strongs numbers that gave rise to any English word and the visa-versa.

I planned to extend this by creating an automatic translation by
defaulting a translation of every Greek word (according to popularity).
Such youthful ideas! This would then be an interesting way to dig around
with the senses of various words.

There is a remnant of this in org.crosswire.jsword.book.StudyTool. But
code doesn't even start to address meaning.

I came across WordNet some time ago while designing the search engine
and investigating extending searches using a thesaurus.
WordNet knows all about senses - that's where the net bit comes in.
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet

Not sure any of that is much use though - I think you wanted a book with
the answers in now!

Joe.