[jsword-devel] Before 1.0

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:11:01 +0100

DM Smith wrote:
> I do think it would be good to have a stable release, a definition of
> what that entails and a nightly build release. I think that having a
> clean build for stable releases and incremental for nightly would be
> good. We can have as many jnlp releases as we want just by building them
> to separate directories. I am pretty sure that WebStart manages each
> download location as a separate installation.

I'm going to start by having a jnlp dir for each release, and we can
take it from there. Post 1.0 we might want more.

> Can we create a list of bugs or do you have one. I took a look at
> bugs.txt and it seems that we have solved what was listed.

I'll put every thing you mentioned into an updated bugs.txt

> There is still one major startup issue, which I have not mentioned
> before, that I think needs to be tackled. The management of options
> needs some more work. What is there is excellent. I really like how it
> is dynamically built.
>
> The notion of options needs to have the notion of program defaults and
> have that reflected in the options dialog. There are some defaults that
> cannot be simply represented in a static file: such as Font, Look and
> Feel, home directory, default paths. When options are saved and no value
> is given, then it should not be saved as empty but as using the default.

The original idea was that the program should work OK with config ripped
out. So reasonable defaults were the job of the main part of the program
and not the config system.
Norbert should be able to get on with jsword without needing to learn
config,

> There are a few other bugs and "features" that I have come across.
>
> Some of the features on the options do not seem to work. I don't
> remember which. I can go through and find out what.
>
> On the Bible installer, "delete" does not work.

I 'fixed' this by removing the button and adding to bugs.txt a post 1.0
item to add delete module functionality.
I'm not sure that deleting modules needs to be pre 1.0 ????

> View HTML does not show the true html, but a rendition stripped of all
> styling. I have found it useful to see how the HTMLDocument munged up
> the input, but I think it would also be useful to show the original html.
>
> I am not sure what "View G-HTML" is, but it doesn't seem very useful.

The original point was to dig into the munging you mention. One gave you
the original HTML, the other the munged version.

> The KJV w/ Strongs does not parse well when it shows Mat 1.1 (and lots
> of other places in the NT).

Last time I looked at this problem, the OSIS was invalid. One of the
problems with JAXB is that it is unforgiving of invalid markup. This
problem and the relative difficulty of upgrading to newer versions of
OSIS make me wonder if JAXB was a good idea.

> Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia does not display the text in the right
> order. (The font, Tahoma, is great though on Windows.) Each verse is
> shown RtoL, which is correct, but the verses are ordered from LtoR. Also
> the verse numbers need to be at the beginning of the verse, which is on
> the right, but they are on the left. (Can't wait to load up a Greek
> Bible. Wish we had Nestle/Alland!)

Added to bugs.txt

> Vines shows internal markup around verse references.

Added to bugs.txt

> 2 of the Backends are stubbed out, but books for them are listed. I
> think JSword should only show books it can actually do something with.

Added to bugs.txt

> For a 1.0 release, I think the "programmer" helpers, such as debug, view
> html, osis and ghtml, need to be hidden.

Added to bugs.txt

Post 1.0:

> Multiple download sites.

Already there, there is an "add site ..." button in the Books dialog.
However there is a bug that the list of sites is not saved. Pre 1.0?

Others added to bugs.txt

Joe.