[jsword-devel] jnlp/jsword.jar/Books does not have installed() method

Norbert Plött jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:34:34 +0100

Hey Joe,

so I today I got

    http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/jnlp/jsword.jar

assuming that this would  reflect the status of the nightly build, and the
status of the changes you described:

> There are instructions on how to do this on the website. You example you
> cite has changed:
>
>     public void readPlainText() throws BookException, NoSuchVerseException
>     {
>         Passage ref = PassageFactory.createPassage("Mat 1 1");
>         Book bible =
> Books.installed().getBookMetaData(BIBLE_NAME).getBook();
>
>         BookData data = bible.getData(ref);
>         String text = data.getPlainText();
>
>         System.out.println("The plain text of Mat 1:1 is "+text);
>     }
>
> There are 2 main changes - firstly I changed Books to be a singleton
> (accessed using Books.installed) rather than the collection of static
> methods that it was previously.
> This enabled us to have collections of Books that were other than the
> installed ones (useful for the book installation system)
> Secondly I didn't like the way Defaults worked (or more accurately
> didn't work) so I added a method on the BookList interface to get a book
> by name.

I pasted this into my example and got the following compiler errors:

de/nops/BibleStat/Gui/BibleStatGui.java [146:1] cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method installed ()
location: class org.crosswire.jsword.book.Books
            Book bible =
Books.installed().getBookMetaData("GerSch").getBook();
                              ^
de/nops/BibleStat/Gui/BibleStatGui.java [147:1]
getData(org.crosswire.jsword.book.Key) in org.crosswire.jsword.book.Book
cannot be applied to (org.crosswire.jsword.passage.Passage)
            BookData data = bible.getData(ref);
                                 ^
I looked into the jsword.jar and found, that Books actually does not have a
method installed().
Does this mean that I cannot the current jsword.jar directly but have to use
the webstart page DM Smith wrote about?

> The WebStart page now downloads the nightly build. I am not sure that this
> will continue once the next release happens. The download will be about 5M
> initially. After that it will only get the changes (provided the nightly
> does not do a clean build, but an incremental). You will need to dig on your
> machine to find the jar files. For me they were installed at (on Windows
> XP):

I am using SuSE Linux, KDE Desktop, so I'd have to figure myself where the
jars go?
Or what happened?

Bye Norbert