[jsword-devel] Clean Installation Problems

DM Smith jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:02:04 -0500

Joe Walker wrote:

>DM Smith wrote:

.... stuff deleted ....
>>1) JSword assumes that at least one bible is installed. If one is not
>>installed then the application does not work gracefully. Specifically I
>>get all kinds of un-helpful error messages, with Null Pointer Exceptions
>>and Book Exceptions. (I have a listing of where these errors occurred, if
>>anyone wants them, but for the sake of brevity in this message, I left
>>them out.)
>
>I'd be interested in these. I won't be able to spend any serious time on it
>for another week or so until the study weekend is done, but God willing
>I'll have more time after then.

Joe,
Here are the errors that I have noted. Pardon the sloppiness of the text, I
was creating "notes to self" and I bet that sending them causes all kinds of
inappropriate line breaks.

Problems with application when nothing is installed.
NPE when doing a search book.DisplaySelectPane line 304.
NPE when doing a match book.DisplaySelectPane line 334.
NPE when doing a lookup book.DisplaySelectPane line 373.
NPE when doing a lookup via [...] button for Exodus 1.1-7, line 373.
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException (-1) when changing combo from Genesis to
Exodus. CommentaryPane line 134.
BookException when clicking on hyperlink for 9 Oct (1 Ch 26)
readings.ReadingsBook line 155.
GHTML causes 1 error (no reading selected):
	Document root element is missing. (xml.TrasformingSAXEventProvider line
157)
HTML causes 1 error (no reading selected)
	NPD in ViewSourceHTMLAction, line 58. No dialog is presented
OSIS causes 1 error (no reading selected)
	NPE in desktop.viewSourceOSISAction line 61.

Problems after refreshing list of Books but not downloading or selecting
one.
NPE with 3 entries: erxebar_en, erxelmo_en, erxesrn_en.
I found that the second one did not have a "name". I did not look at the
others.
These same 3 errors happen at startup, since the listing is loaded and
parsed at startup.
Bibles->Refresh List has a comma after every Bible, Commentary and
Dictionary.
    This is just a visual thing. It did not affect anything.
Bibles->Edit Site -> Add or Select entry causes window resize
    and the partial appearance of fields (bottom line of Username box does
not display)
    This is just a visual thing.

Problems after installing one Dictionary. (No bible installed)
Choose Naves, and got no hour glass. The starting and finished dialog boxes
used to provide progress are confusing.
Perhaps a progress meter would be better.
Later I saw there is a progress meter on the main window, but it is obscured
by this dialog.
Select Nave's, then select something in pane below. BookException in
SwordDictionary.getData line 150.

Problems after installing one Commentary (Mathew Henry's Complete). (No
bible installed)
Again, same nature of dialogs.
Selecting the commentary results in an ArrayOutOfBoundsException at line 134
of book.ComentaryPane.

In the Book Dialog, deleting a local does not delete it from the main
screen.
Restarting does show that it is no longer there. I think the fact that it
does
not show up is not because it was deleted, but because the program does not
look in the installation location for any bibles. In fact all bibles,
including the one that was deleted, do not show up.

Installing Revised Standard Version causes it to show up twice on main
screen.
On the Books->Local tab, the tree is messed up and a blank line is shown
under bibles.
If I dismiss the dialogs as they come up, then I only get one entry.

Installing first bible does not select it on main screen or set it as
default on Options->Default Bible.
The console messages indicate that because the speed is 9 that it is set as
the default bible.

If the Bible is not selected, even though there is one in the list,
it has the same errors as when none is installed.

Selected second RSV and got a BookException on line 105 of
PassageAbstractBook.
Selecting the other RSV produced no errors.

It is possible to install the same bible a second time.
It will download again and show up in the list of bibles a second time.
I get a BookException in readings.ReadingBook line 155 when picking one of
the many RSVs in the list.

When installing a bible the first time and the second dialog is dismissed
before the first one,
then the bible listing shows a blank entry in the tree and twice in the
Bible combo on the main screen

Restarting the application does not show any installed books.
This is a result of the search looking in the wrong place.

Other problems:
Error Window dynamically resizes on mouse enter in the Details checkbox
area.
Error Details window would be more valuable if it numbered lines and
marked/highlighted
the line with the problem. When the source path is not set it gives the line
number.
I find this useful.
Bringing up options page results in NPE on FontChooser line 166, twice.
Clicking on OK or Apply on options page results in NPE on FontChooser line
166.
Options->Advanced->About Dialog->Debug Tab has no effect
The bible, A Conservative Version, does not work. Perhaps it is because it
is zText???

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/