[jsword-devel] JNLP was Newbie JSword Developer wishes to help

DM Smith jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:10:41 -0500

Joe said:
... stuff deleted ....
>>2) I then tried the Web-Start interface from the web
>>(http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/jnlp.html)
>>I clicked on the download button which downloaded
>>http:://www.crosswire.org/jsword/jnlp/jsword.jnlp.
>
>Yes they are both broken.
>There are 2 remaining jobs that need working on, one is small - wringing
>some sense out of JEditorPane for displaying text, and the other is making
>deployment easier.
>
>>I have seen this problem before where the path in the jnlp file does not
>>match the path used to download the file.
>>I think that changing
>><jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://@HOSTNAME@/@WEBAPP@/"
>>href="jsword.jnlp">
>><jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://@HOSTNAME@/@WEBAPP@/"
>>href="jnlp/jsword.jnlp">
>>will get past that problem.
>
>Well I've changed that, and checked it in. The nightly build should put it
>live later.

Well it got past the problem of the downloading the jnlp file itself.
Now it is choking on finding the jars.

I didn't know that you had the directory listable for
http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/jnlp
or I would have seen it earlier.

So changing codebase and not href was the thing to do.
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://@HOSTNAME@/@WEBAPP@/jnlp/"
href="jsword.jnlp">

However, I think that there are other problems. One of which you mention on
the WebStart web page.

1) WebStart is known to have problems with using xerces and xalan under 1.4.
Specifically, the mechanism (Endorsed Standards Override) to replace
built-in (e.g. crimson) with other (e.g. xerces) functionality is not
supported.

[ There may be a similar need for Tomcat to use the endorsed dirs.
See: http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.2/jaxp/Updating.html ]

2) I had problems loading jlfgr icons from a jar into an application, unless
I used absolute pathing. Jsword uses relative pathing and has the resources
in the file system, not in a jar when run as an installed application.
WebStart requires stuff to be in jars.

3) Not all of the jars needed are present in the distribution directory.

4) Not all of the jars needed are mentioned in the jnlp file.

If you like I can work on getting 2-4 working, and I can see if I can find a
work-around for 1.

But, if JSword 1.0 provides a different mechanism for installation, then
this work would not be needed.