[jsword-devel] Quick HOW-TO Help

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:32:07 MST 2004

So how should we integrate the help text?
I think we could write a "Help" dictionary quite easily and maybe have
the help menu link to it. Does that make sense? It would be quite
easy.

I'll put it on the website too.

The help text from Don looks like this:

Bible Desktop HOW-TO

/*
Here's a simple how-to text.  Not quite complete, but offers most of the
basic functions to get someone started.  I'm also working on a fuller
manual.  I'll use this comment style for all comments.
*/

Add Bible & Reference Books
---------------------------
<>Click "Tools" --> "Books"
<>Click "Download from CrossWire" tab
<>Click "Update Index"
<>Click on the folder for the category you want
<>Click on the book(s) you want
<>Click "Install"

Set Default Bible & References
------------------------------
<>Click "Tools" --> "Options"
<>Click "Bibles" in the left sidebar
<>Use the Dropdown lists to select a default Bible, Dictionary & Commentary

Select (Lookup) a Bible Passage
-------------------------------
<>Ensure Passage Lookup is selected
<>Click [...]
<>Click the book you want (Click "Add" to view the whole book)
<>Click the chapter(s) you want (Click "Add" to view the whole chapter)
<>Click the verse(s) you want
<>Click "Add"
<>Click "OK"

Search for Words & Phrases
--------------------------
<>Ensure "Search" is selected
<>Enter your search term
<>Set the search restrictions (i.e., to search on "neighbor" only in the
 New Testament, set this to "Mat-Rev")
<>Click "Go"

Match
-----
/*
Sorry, don't have my notes with me on the match function.  Thought I did.
I'll let you fill in this bit.
*/

Save Search Results
<>Click the "Save" icon (or "File" --> "Save")
<>Enter a file name
<>Click "Save"

Open a Saved Search