[jsword-devel] web sites

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Thu Aug 12 15:04:53 MST 2004

Hi,

I've been using a wiki a bit at work recently and it has overcome some
of my dislike of them. I've previously disliked them because it has
always seemed that you could tell a wiki a mile off. They always had
SillyLookingLinks and edit buttons that would just confuse normal people.
I realize that my dislikes are a bit out of date and thinks like
SnipSnap and Phone are way past that.
In addition I think it would be easier to build content using something
like SnipSnap than the current CVS->cron->ant->XSLT method, which whilst
fitting in the "CVS stores everything" ethos is unwieldy and a right
pain to get just right.

So I'm currently thinking that it might be a lot simpler to move the
website(s) out of CVS and into SnipSnap. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I reckon I can make it so that it is hard to tell that we are on a Wiki
to the untrained eye.

SnipSnap comes as a war file and has to have the best installation
system I've seen for a while - drop the war in place, and fire up tomcat
and then go through a simple wizard. Bingo.