[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop application title

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Mon Apr 26 14:15:48 MST 2004

DM Smith wrote:

> I mentioned earlier that JSword is embedded in the splash.png file.
> I also found that it is in the following files as the program's title.
> .../bibledesktop.desktop.DesktopActionFactory.properties for the "About"
> action's tool tip.
> .../jsword.util.Project.java
> .../resource/project.properties, which is used by Project.java
>
> I took a look at Project.java and how it was used and it seems to be
> intertwined with both jsword and bibledesktop, but mostly used by jsword.
>
> I am thinking that bibledesktop should either:
> have its own Project.java, or something like it, perhaps derived from
> jsword's Project.java that redefines strings that should be redefined.
> or
> split Project.java so that the functionality is appropriately located by
> Eclipse project.

That sounds like a good idea.
I would guess that we might well discover that BibleDesktop.Project and
JSword.Project don't overlap that much, but we do need 2 things I think.

> Also, the title needs to be internationalized, which means that the
> property file that contains it should be read in as a ResourceBundle.
>
> In project the pattern for getting properties is
> props.getProperty("key", "default"). There are two shortcomings with this.
> First, the default may need to be internationalized.
> Second, it is not a part of the ResourceBundle interface. The whole
> notion of a ResourceBundle is that there is a default property file. So
> this form of getProperty is not needed. So, if we convert the
> project.properties to a ResourceBundle so that some strings are
> internationalized, then this form of getProperty for the other
> properties will need to change or the property file will need to be
> split into two or .....
>

> Anyway, any thoughts on how this should be changed?

The current way isn't good I agree. I suppose that the app name is just
a user visible string just like any other, so perhaps we should read it
in using Msg?
I don't think the other keys in project.properties are that useful so we
could probably get rid of the whole file.