[jsword-devel] OSIS parse error inspection KJV 1769

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:08:57 +0100

Norbert Plött wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am trying to inspect the 1769 King James bible with jsword (Mat 1:1). The
> text is displayed, but only as "black text", i.e. not hyperlink information
> for Strong's etc. Also I get parse error messages in the debug output which
> seem to indicate that the bible text is not quite in line with the OSIS
> version I have:
>
> uterDisplayPane(DEBUG) new bible chosen: SwordBible:kjv[moddrv=zText]
> uterDisplayPane(DEBUG) new bible chosen: SwordBible:kjv[moddrv=zText]
> uterDisplayPane(DEBUG) new passage chosen: Mat 1:1
> book.DataPolice(DEBUG) OSIS parse error: Unexpected element {}:resp More
> information is available.
> book.DataPolice(DEBUG) parse original failed: Unexpected element {}:resp
> book.DataPolice(DEBUG)   while parsing: <w src="1" lemma="x-Strongs:G976"
> morph="x-Robinson:N-NSF">The book</w> <w src="2" lemma="x-Strongs:...
> (truncated)
> (repeats several times)
>
> I thought that OSIS was already pretty stable. Now my jsword.jar, which
> contains the osis package, was downloaded on February 29 2004. Do need to
> make a new (8 Meg on a 28.8 modem) download? Other suggestions?

The problem is that the resp element used in the Sword KJV module is not
part of any OSIS ever released, and since we use JAXB as a parser which
is strictly validating, we're a bit stuffed.

I've spent some time writing some code to clean up invalid XML - hence
you can see something. There may be more we can do as band aid, but I
can't help thinking that the real problem is JAXB, so the real solution
is to use something else...

The next temporary fix is to write a SAX filter to strip out resp
attributes.

Sorry I can't be more help.