[jsword-devel] updates

DM Smith jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:02:04 -0400

Joe Walker wrote

>Hi,
>
>I'm down to 87 i18n strings to go. These however are the gnarly ones. These
>are mostly ones with mnemonics, so just blindly putting them into Msg won't
>work. The options that I can see are:
>- take off the mnemonics
>- move the mnemonics into the Msg file as well
>- turn these instances into Actions

I think that these should be turned into Actions using the pattern of the
DesktopActionFactory.

I think that the internationalization of actions is a little bit different
from that of messages that it warrants a separate technique.

>Any opinions?
>
>I've also removed LogicError and replaced with assert everywhere. I'd like
>to know if I've done it wrong anywhere. I've tried to make it so that
>generally speaking if asserts are turned off (the default) then something
>sensible happens.
>
>I've also edited the launchers to add a -ea to the command line to enable
>assertions. My understanding is that this only enables assertions in
>non-system classes. Does anyone know how to enable them for system classes
>too?

I'm still on vacation so I can't see the code. I am looking forward to see
your changes. I was also amazed with over 4000 strings that could be
externalized. That is a lot of code that needs to be adjusted.

Sun recommends that asserts are not used for pre-condition checks and that
for preconditions that it either returns something sensible or throws a
focused exception (e.g. IllegalArgumentException, NullPointerException,
...), that is an exception that describes the problem and an exception and
not an error.

When I get back I'll search for the assertions and do a review and let you
know what I think. I am sure that they will be good.

>We also need to fix the nightly build - I need to add some assertion
>switches,

Ultimately the code should be delivered with the assertions turned off as
they test conditions that cannot happen and that have no side effects.

I think that there is an ANT target that will run the application and
probably will need to have -ea as well.

>however the urgency for this is behind the urgency to fix the bizarre
>startup error that I'm getting at the moment!

What is the bizarre startup error? I was getting one where the system
provided icons were used before they were loaded. Resulting in NPEs.