[jsword-devel] More "features" (aka bugs)

DM Smith jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:37:54 -0500

I am on a hunt for bugs. My definition of a bug is anything that does not
behave as expected. Sometimes this will be an opportunity for my learning.
So if of this is not bug help me understand.
If you can let me know what the expected behavior should be, I can work on
fixing what are real problems. Joe, if you wish, you may add any of these
that are bugs to bugs.txt.

I opened the application with one Bible installed. I did nothing but
exercise the menus. I did not display passages, search for anything. Here is
what I found:
After having brought up JSword:
File Menu:
Save, Save As, Save All throw a NPE at
org.crosswire.jsword.view.swing.book.BibleViewPane.save(BibleViewPane.java:135),
but the file is created.
Save As does not present any other choices than what is given for Save. The
code is nearly identical.
Open of the same file throws a ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at
org.crosswire.jsword.passage.AbstractPassage.getVerseAt(AbstractPassage.java:357)
Close and Close All do something (indicated by console output) when there is
nothing to close.
The control key combinations seem to work in isolation.
The following control key combo does not work: ctrl-n, ctrl-f4, ctrl-n.
Seems that the context for control keys is lost. Other combos of these two
work and others do not. This is not a problem in Sub-Window Mode.
In Sub-Window Mode, closing the last window closes the last window. In
Tabbed mode, it is closed, but another is opened.
In Sub-Window Mode, Close All closes all and re-opens one (Same as in Tabbed
mode). But it differs in that if none is open, it opens a new one.
In Sub-Window Mode, it is possible to close the window with the X in the
upper left. Even if it is the last one. (This differs from the Tabbed Mode
where it is not possible to close the last)

Edit Menu:
I cannot figure out how to get Cut and Paste to enable.
I did my tests for cut, copy and paste in the Passage view text box.
Copy doesn't seem to work.
Alt C brings up help, but it is given as the shortcut to Copy.
Alt-V pops up the view menu, but it is given as the shortcut to paste (which
is disabled).
Ctrl-C does a copy.
Ctrl-X does a cut.
Ctrl-V does a paste.

Tried same after typing in Gen 1.1. Same results.

View Menu:
Tabbed and Sub-Window Mode are discussed above.
The View *ML require clicking in the text window to show the *ml of that
panet. It is not clear which pane is active. So it is confusing when it
displays nothing.
View G-HTML needs to display the Generated HTML. Currently, it does not look
good. Only the text shows not the tags with the text.

At this point, I selected Gen 1:17, Gen 2:10.
Tools Menu:
Blur does not go beyond Chapter boundary, even when Book is set as the blur
boundary in Options. Should "Blur" be renamed to "Expand Passage" or
something like that? It was not obvious to me what it meant.
Delete Selected does not seem to work. It does cause the text to be
re-displayed. I tried selecting different stuff (Passage, text, reading)
without success.