[jsword-devel] Re: JSword license

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:58:00 +0100

Mike Kienenberger wrote:

>Joe Walker <joe@eireneh.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for that. I didn't fully understand the issues behind the
>>"MoneyGuzzler" problem, and having understood that I think we've fallen
>>into the trap and we need to fix it.
>>

>Hi Joe,
>
>I think you're misinterpreting something.
>
>You can already use GPL'd code with any other open-source library, provided
>you also provide the source code for that library along with your code.

We don't provide source for those libraries, but I suppose we could.
I need to have another look at the license. I made the assumption that
in the question: "I am writing free software that uses non-free ..." The
term *free* meant GPL, although that seems not to be correct.
I also remember a number of debates on this list where people told me
that the GPL was incompatible with Java and I never got where it came from.

Joe.