[jsword-devel] Re: JSword license

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:20:29 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for that. I didn't fully understand the issues behind the
"MoneyGuzzler" problem, and having understood that I think we've fallen
into the trap and we need to fix it.

We probably should add a provision that allows anyone to link JSword
with code that is IBM Public License v1.0 (JUnit, BSF), Apache (almost
everything else), or the JAXB license.
I've done a quick example, but I think we should perhaps broaden the
scope to allowing specific licenses rather than specific libraries. Any
thoughts?

"In addition, as a special exception, the authors of JSword give
permission to link the code of this program with the libraries listed
below (or with modified versions of those libraries that use the same
license as those libraries), and distribute linked combinations
including the two.  You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
respects for all of the code used other than the libraries listed below.
If you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version
of the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to
do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
- Bean Scripting Framework v2.3
- JAXB v1.0
- JDOM v0.9
- JUnit v3.8.1
- Jakarta Commons Lang v2.0
- Log4J v1.2.7
- Lucene v1.2"

Mike, is your objection to the GPL because you need to have this
exception list, or is your exception to JSword becuse we (currently) don't?

If the latter then I intend to fix the problem as an urgent priority.
Troy, Mark, Jacky, Keith, and any other contributors that I've missed -
do you have comments?

Joe.