[jsword-devel] Re: [sword-devel] Sword license

Mike Kienenberger jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:41:00 -0400

I'm a games developer, and I'm interested in developing games incorporating
bible verses.
I've looked around, and I found the Sword project.   However, since I do all

of my work in Java and the Sword project was in C++, I figured I'd end up
having to write my own classes to read the data sources, and began to do so,

especially since what little I saw of the Sword source didn't appear to
follow a well-designed (in my own opinion of course) object model.

However, I decided to do a search on the web and found Jsword.  It looks
like you have a well-defined API accessing data in the drivers.

However, you're only releasing it under GPL, that means I can't use it since

I use other APIs that are incompatible with GPL.

Is there any chance you could release the API under LGPL or Apache or BSD or

some other more developer-friendly License?  The only comment in the mailing

list archive I found on licensing seemed ambivalent.

Thanks,

-Mike

Joe Walker <joe@eireneh.com> wrote:
> >>If I read the Sword/JSword source code and from that
design/information