[jsword-devel] Re: JSword license

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:50:15 +0100

Hi,

Chris Little wrote:

> The SWORD Project is licensed under the GPL.  Many portions of JSword
> are derivative of portions of The SWORD Project and are therefore
> covered by the GPL.

Not sure if you realise how little of JSword code actually has anything
to do with Sword at all. JSword came from ProjectB which was developed
by me totally independently. To my knowledge the only code in JSword
that is derived from Sword is in the org.crosswire.jsword.book.sword
package, and (I forgot this earlier) the org.crosswire.sword
compatibility package. JSword is under the GPL because I chose to put
ProjectB under the GPL not because of Sword.

However please don't take all of this as me wanting to change from the
GPL to something else, I don't. And it's not that I'm not comitted to
the Sword project, I am.
It probably is however the product of someone who is probably too
emmotionally tied to "his baby" than is good for him, so sorry if I'm
too possessive.

Joe.