[jsword-devel] Re: JSword license

Chris Little jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:32:22 -0700

*sigh*

I'm sorry if I have to come off as the heavy here, but let me explain a
few things.

The SWORD Project is licensed under the GPL.  Many portions of JSword
are derivative of portions of The SWORD Project and are therefore
covered by the GPL.  Regardless of who modified code from The SWORD
Project for the port to Java, copyright is jointly held with the
copyright holder of the original version.  Without permission of ALL
copyright holders, no licensing terms other than those of the GPL are
permissible.

If, for some reason, you don't think a port is a derivative work, think
of it as a translation between two languages, which you can research at
the copyright office website.  The file format drivers are easily
recognized as derivative, though.

While all code related to The SWORD Project is GPL licensed, the modules
themselves are NOT.  They carry myriad different licenses.  Some modules
are public domain.  Some can be used only for personal use and
distributed for free or for no profit.  Some can only be distributed for
use with the SWORD Project.  They include copyrighted material by
hundreds of people who have not granted permission for use in non-GPL
software.

CrossWire will vigorously defend against reading our content with
software not based on The SWORD Project because to do otherwise would
jeopardize our relationships with content owners.

Speaking personally, I've spent on the order of ten thousand hours,
working to build up our library of content with the knowledge that The
SWORD Project is free software.  The GPL is our way of ensuring that our
work remains free software and is never made proprietary.  I really
resent that you would so cavalierly give permission to third parties to
circumvent the legal protections we have placed on our work to ensure
that it remains free software.

If we'd wanted The SWORD Project to be LGPL software, we would have made
it so.

--Chris