[jsword-devel] Greetings and a couple of questions

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:18:26 +0000

Hi,

I'm not sure what OS you are using. On windows the installer creates a
start menu item, it should do similar on MacOS and Linux too.

I use Eclipse all the time for development, the project source contains
.project, .source and laucher files to help development using eclipse,
however it should work with any IDE. I've also used together and
jbuilder in the past.

We do however use Swing and not SWT. I've considered SWT a number of
times but I don't think it is the right tool just now for 2 reasons.
Firstly the API is supposed to be difficult compared to Swing (which is
already better understood my many developers) and secondly the eclipse
sub-project to generalize eclipse to be a generic application framework
has only just got going (I believe eclipse3.0M5 contains the first bits
of work)

However I do like SWT's concept of using native widgets so anyone
wanting to write a SWT frontend would be most welcome.

Joe.