[jsword-devel] Latest version with Thai

Chris Little jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 12:55:48 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Joe Walker wrote:

> So let me make sure I understand. The for most English Bibles the header
> will have <language>en</language>, and for the most part the lang
> attribute will go unused. But could be used in Mark 15:34 around "Eloi,
> Eloi, Lama Sabachthani" might have <foo lang="heb">Eloi ...</foo>

Right, if a text chooses to identify its language (the language tag in the
header is not mandatory) <language>en</language> would be correct for
English Bibles.

The quote would probably be tagged <q who="Jesus" lang="arc">....</q>. In
general circumstances, you can use <foreign> to hang a lang tag from.

> For what it is worth my understanding of xml:lang from
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-lang-tag would lead me to think it
> should replace both <language> and lang="..."

The <language> element actually comes from Dublin Core, which we adopted
as a basic set of meta-data elements.  I don't think replacing it with
xml:lang would be appropriate because that would result in storing core
meta-data in two different formats.

--Chris