[jsword-devel] Config/XML (Was: SkinLF)

Aleksander Rozman - Andy jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:36:10 +0100

At 12/29/2003, you wrote:
>Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
>>Yeah I have another great question. Why do you use XML files for
>>configuration file. There are a lot of ways to configure software and
>>instanciating about 30 classes to be able to read few settings is really
>>not a way to go. Java has a nifty class called Properties, which can do
>>everything... With a little memory.
>
>The configure system does use properties files to store the properties.
>The XML configures the configuration system. If you can replace config.xml
>using a properties file and have it:
>- be as easy to read as xml

YES and writable too..

>- be syntax checked by a DTD

Properties files don't have DTD

>- convert to code using xsl to perform a lower level check
>- generate a GUI without coding
>- not polute other classes with config dependent code

Nice feature that you have self updating config, but so far I haven't seen
any *good* fruits of that labor, except there is a lot more code than needed.

>Check the config system. A simple properties file isn't even close.
I have seen that you supply options by config.xml, but if I am frank I
don't see why. I don't see any good feature in using dynamic config file
for static options. If you had real plugin features this might come handy,
but not in the way you have done this.

Andy