[jsword-devel] Config/XML (Was: SkinLF)

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:28:41 +0000

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
> Yeah I have another great question. Why do you use XML files for
> configuration file. There are a lot of ways to configure software and
> instanciating about 30 classes to be able to read few settings is really
> not a way to go. Java has a nifty class called Properties, which can do
> everything... With a little memory.

The configure system does use properties files to store the properties.
The XML configures the configuration system. If you can replace
config.xml using a properties file and have it:
- be as easy to read as xml
- be syntax checked by a DTD
- convert to code using xsl to perform a lower level check
- generate a GUI without coding
- not polute other classes with config dependent code

Check the config system. A simple properties file isn't even close.

Joe.